- Created on June 29, 2017 8:48 AM
- Last Updated on February 26, 2019 11:49 AM
- June 29, 2017 8:48 AM
Chiang Kai Shek College is the first institution of higher learning in the Philippines founded by overseas Chinese-Filipinos. It offers education in all levels from preschool to graduate school.
In June 1939, Chiang Kai Shek High School was founded by prominent and hardworking Chinese in Manila like Mr. Wong Chun Seng and Mr. Yu Khe Thai. It was named after Generalissimo Chiang Kai Shek to inspire young Filipino-Chinese to emulate the great personality and spirit of the late President. It initially offered a six years program in Chinese and a four-year program in English. Three years later, the school bore the brunt of World War II– it was heavily damaged and fourteen teachers and students were killed for participating in underground activities. The school reopened in December 1945. Under Principal Wong together with the support of the Chinese community, moved to its new site in August 1948.
In 1958, the Wong Chun Seng Memorial Preschool was established.
In November 2000, the Preschool and Kindergarten Department started offering the Montessori Class, and in June 2009 it opened the Day Care Center to provide respite for working parents.
With the implementation of the K to 12 Curriculum by the Department of Education under President Benigno Aquino in the year 2012, the Board of Trustees appointed Dr. Dory Poa as Consultant of the Board for Curriculum Development and Chairman of the Special Task Force on K+12. Five-year-old children in the Philippines are mandated to study Kindergarten. In June 2013, Dr. Bee Ching Ong Kian Koc retired and Dr. Dory Poa was appointed as the new College President.
Our Philosophy and Curriculum
Progressive, Child-friendly, and Developmentally-appropriate
We offer progressive, child-centered and developmentally-appropriate early childhood education programs for children 2.5 to 6 years old.
We develop children holistically (physically, cognitively and socio-emotionally) through an integrated curriculum and meaningful, relevant and interesting experiences. We balance child-centered and teacher-guided activities to create the best learning atmosphere for the child. Our whole learning environment from the teachers, staff, and facilities are supportive and responsive to the child's needs, taking into consideration the children's age, interests, and socio-cultural background.
We offer two internationally regarded early childhood education programs. Parents may enroll their child in the program which they think suits their child best.
Wong Chun Seng Memorial Preschool: Creative Curriculum
Following the Creative Curriculum, teachers use knowledge of child development, individual child's needs, strengths, interests and socio-cultural context in order to plan activities in which the child will learn these core content areas:
- Language (English, Chinese, and Filipino)
- Social Studies
Teachers guide children's learning through the ff. interest areas:
- Dramatic Play
- Toys and Games
- Sand and Water
- Music and Movement
- Outdoor play
CKS College Montessori: Montessori Approach
Through Montessori approach, teachers develop the whole child through the ff. key principles:
- respect for the child: the child is encouraged to choose work previously shown and to independently finish them with grace and courtesy
- self-directed learning: through self-correcting learning materials, the child is able to educate himself/herself
- absorbent mind: the 0-6-year-old child learns with ease, making them teachable of enriched curricula
- sensitive periods of development: children have a particular time in which they are most responsive to learning certain skills. Thus teachers observe them closely to capitalize on these golden "windows of opportunity" for maximum learning
- well-prepared environment: in an atmosphere of natural beauty and order guided by the teacher, children educate themselves in freedom and harmony
Its key learning areas include:
- Practical Life
- Language (English, Chinese, and Filipino)
- Culture (History, Science, and Geography)
We also offer after-school child care services. Day Care is an enrichment and childcare program that extends a child’s day until 4:00 pm during weekdays. Children will eat full healthy lunch, nap and explore many topics through literature, science, and art. Napping allows them the opportunity to rest quietly. Children are not required to sleep and may choose to look at books, listen to a story, or participate in a quiet activity on their bed/ mat. This rest period allows them time to relax before beginning the afternoon activities.