- Created on July 24, 2021 12:31 AM
- Last Updated on July 24, 2021 12:31 AM
- July 24, 2021 12:31 AM
"Wushu" is the Chinese term for "martial arts" (武 "Wu" = military or martial, 術 "Shu" = art). It was developed in 1949 in an effort to standardize the practice of traditional Chinese martial arts. Training in wushu offers various health and fitness benefits:
- Strength – The many stances of wushu build leg and core muscle strength and the necessity of holding poses while training builds strong stabilizing muscles.
- Flexibility – Wushu practice builds all around flexibility. It helps the ff. get a good stretch: the hamstrings, calf muscles, hips, chest, back, arms, shoulders, wrist, and ankles.
- Balance – Balance is developed by standing exercises on one leg as well as learning how to find one’s center so that even when performing quick travelling movements, he never loses his balance.
- Coordination – Hand/ Eye coordination is an important skill that both children and adults can benefit from.
- Stamina – Stamina suggests a strong mind able to withstand extreme stress without buckling under.
- Reflexes – Reflexes develop as a natural result of strength and coordination. One can move quickly if the need arises.
- Body Awareness – The mind is aware of what the body is doing and can direct it.
(Source : http://www.physicalarts.com/en/knowledge/general-interest/health-a-fitness-benefits-of-wushu)